One of the big problems many policyholders are going to face when filing an insurance claim in Clovis, NM, and this applies to boat insurance just as well as home insurance and car insurance, is negligence.
Your insurer is there to pay the costs if something happens, but they need you to hold up your end of the bargain, too, and that means proper maintenance. It means doing whatever you can to keep your property safe and secure, and, most importantly, to keep the people in your boat, and around your boat, safe and secure as well.
On a boat, safety is of the utmost importance, and there is quite a lot of room for negligence. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Wear your life jacket, and insist that your guests and your crew wear them, as well.
- Attend a boat safety course. We can only fit so much into this checklist, and there’s a lot to learn.
- Give your guests a crash course on boat safety. Inviting people onto your boat without letting them know how to safely occupy one can be regarded as negligence.
- Never boat while intoxicated. You might not be on the freeway, but it’s still a motor vehicle.
- Never depart without checking the weather. If your hull is breached against a rock because of strong winds, and the weather report could have told you that would happen, that could be regarded as neglect.
And, of course, you’ll want to practice basic maintenance. Keep your boat and your engine clean, replace anything that needs replacing, repair anything that needs repairing. You want to take care of your boat because it’s your boat. You want to keep it looking shiny and new and you want to keep it running. But you want to make sure that your insurance provider will cover you if something happens to it, too.
If you’re still shopping around in Clovis, NM for boat insurance, get in touch with the General Insurance Agency. The General Insurance Agency can help to get you covered with a policy that suits your needs.