Shopping for home insurance, either for a new home purchase or for better rates, can lead to numerous questions. Some of the most common involve what actually affects those rates. While some issues are common knowledge, there are also topics that can easily be overlooked. A quality general insurance agency serving Clovis, NM and the surrounding area is going to want their clients to have this information.
Below are 5 things too many homeowners overlook and how they can affect their rates.
1. A pool. Having an inground or above ground pool can be fun, especially for kids and barbeques, but they can significantly raise home insurance rates due to liability. These are called ‘attractive nuisances’ and it’s essential to follow all local laws and ordinances to limit liability.
2. Home-based businesses. Even if a person is simply offering services (not products), they open themselves up to external liability, which can put their home in jeopardy, too.
3. Dogs. There are certain breeds of dogs that are considered major liabilities, especially for attacks against strangers and even family and friends. A general insurance agency should be willing to share which breeds they consider too risky.
4. Home remodels. If you plan to remodel your home, that can be exciting. Just keep in mind the type of renovation can often have a direct impact on your insurance rates. Contact that general insurance agency in Clovis, NM for more direct details.
5. Home security. Having a quality, reliable home security system and taking other steps to shore up security in your home can help you find lower rates, thus saving money each month on your premiums.
These are just a few ideas that can help save money on home insurance rates.